Found this competition on http://write-jobs.blogspot.com/search/label/free%20writing%20contests They have a lot of links for writing opportunities for writers looking to make an income on their craft.
Deadline: 30 August 2012
(Note: Participation in this Competition is open to legal residents of Australia, Canada, Mainland China, France, Hong Kong, Germany, Mexico, Singapore, the United Kingdom, and the United States.)
It’s happened to you before—a wave of inspiration hits while you’re traveling. Sensory experiences pile up, and the sounds and textures of an unfamiliar place unleash a flood of creativity. You sit down to write that first word, and you’ve already done it: a new story, a new idea, a new film.
These flurries of imagination are what can spark a new generation of filmmakers, so Intel and W Hotels, alongside Roman Coppola, are launching a short film series and competition entitled Four Stories.
Hotels and travel have been the inspiration for some of cinema’s most enduring films. From Fellini to Truffaut, from Grand Hotel to Lost in Translation, the impulse to create in foreign lands has excited filmmakers for decades. Now it’s your chance to create a story with some of today’s most exciting filmmakers, at some of the most beautiful W Hotels in the world.
Submit a script for a ten-minute short film set in a W Hotel , featuring an Ultrabook as a key character in the script. Roman and a panel of judges will chose three screenplays that will be produced by Roman’s filmmaking company, The Directors Bureau, at one of four W Hotels destinations worldwide (Maldives, Doha, Mexico City, or Washington D.C.). The films will premiere at red carpet events in select W Hotels destinations worldwide and be distributed online.
We are also working with designers and artists to create interactive, experiential Ultrabook installations that will live in six W Hotels around the world.
HERE’S HOW TO ENTER:
Here is an overview of the main requirements to enter the Four Stories competition. Please read the official rules for full details.
- Your script will be filmed at one of four extraordinary W Hotels destinations: Doha, The Maldives, Mexico City, or Washington D.C., so make sure that the story you tell takes advantage of the chic interiors and stunning designs of these specific W Hotels. Your script might be filmed at any of those four locations, so familiarize yourself with all of them!
- Your script must feature an Intel-inspired Ultrabook as a central component to the story. These ultra-sleek, ultra-responsive devices don’t compromise performance for mobility. How you incorporate the Ultrabook into your script is up to you, but remember that at the heart of Four Stories is the power of human relationships, and the ability to connect and create wherever and whenever inspiration strikes you.
- Your script should not exceed ten minutes in length.
ELIGIBILITY: Participation in this Competition is only open to legal residents of Australia, Canada, Mainland China, France, Hong Kong, Germany, Mexico, Singapore, the United Kingdom, and the United States who are at least eighteen (18) years of age (or the applicable age of majority in his/her jurisdiction of residence, whichever is older, but in any event no younger than eighteen (18) years of age) on the date of entry (each an “Entrant”). Except for residents of Mainland China, Entrants must also be registered users of the YouTube website located at http://www.youtube.com (including all mirror, derivative sites and/or localized versions thereof, as applicable, collectively, the “YouTube Website”). To become a registered user of the YouTube Website, individuals must register for and create an account and agree to the YouTube Website’s “Terms of Service” set forth at http://www.youtube.com/t/terms. There is no fee or charge to become a registered user.
1. Each Entry must include the following components:
- Script: An original script for a short film which is set in a W Hotel and features an Ultrabook™ inspired by Intel. The W Hotel locations to choose from are: Mexico City, Barcelona, Doha, Maldives, or Washington D.C.
- Video Submission: A video of the Entrant discussing the script and the inspiration behind it.
2. Language: Entries must be submitted in English (preferred), Spanish, French, German, or Simplified Chinese.
- Script must be submitted as a PDF.
- Acceptable video formats are: 3gp, avi, m2ts, m4v, mkv, mov, mp4, mpeg, mpg, and wmv. Maximum video file size: 1GB.
- Script: If produced, the Script’s short film should be no longer than ten (10) minutes in length.
- Video Submission: No longer than three (3) minutes in length.
5. Music: Video Submission may not contain any music (including but not limited to original pieces, third party works, pieces in the public domain, parodies, spoofs, or derivative works) regardless if used for background, soundtracks, performance, lyrics, or tunes.
6. Video Submission may not contain any persons under the age of 18 years old.
Each of the three (3) Prize Winners will receive the following:
1. Script Production: Each Prize Winner’s Script will be produced by an agency of the Sponsor (“Production Company”) using a professional film director and actor (both selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion) on location at a W Hotel location either featured in the respective winning script (the “Project”) or as otherwise determined by the Sponsor. While the script for a winning Entry may be in a foreign language the film will be produced in English with foreign subtitles added at the sole discretion of the Sponsor.
2. Trip Prize: Each Prize Winner will receive two (2) trips (each, a “Trip”, collectively, the “Trip Prize”):
- A 6-day/5-night Trip for Prize Winner to travel to attend part of the Project production tentatively scheduled for September, October, or November 2012. Prize Winner will also receive US$500 to be awarded by check or wire transfer (less any costs associated with clearing the check if applicable), at the discretion of the Sponsor.
- A 3-day/2-night Trip to a screening of the completed Project tentatively scheduled for November 2012. Prize Winner will also receive US$200 to be awarded by check or wire transfer (less any costs associated with clearing the check if applicable), at the discretion of the Sponsor.
Link: full competition rules
For submissions: via the online submission page